Friday, May 1, 2015

Productivity, Professional Development, and Furthering My TPACK withTechnology

     I was lucky enough to have spent the past two days at the CT Music Educators Association (CMEA) annual in-service conference. At this conference, I observed a variety of applications of technology specifically for professional development. One session focused on recruitment and retention in instrumental programs. The presenter used a presentation software with video and audio segments. She spoke of communication using technology (and paper and mail) with prospective students and their parents.

     Another presentation was a Chinese-born teacher's arrangements of Chinese folk songs for elementary and middle school choir. She gave samples of her scores, 8 in all created with a publishing software, showed videos of her students performing some of the pieces, and a YouTube video made to teach the pronunciation of the Mandarin and Cantonese in her songs.

     Yesterday, the first presentation I attended focused on using early literacy strategies to teach music literacy. This presentation was created with PowerPoint and gave examples of handwritten visuals, computer printed visuals, and found internet resources. The teacher used a spreadsheet to analyze her data for assessments.

     Technology was not the central focus of any of these sessions, but it was instrumental in the presentation and planning of the information. I feel that I am quite comfortable with technology in all aspects of life. I use "Reminders" on my iPhone to keep track of tasks I need to complete. I use my iPhone calendar to keep track of personal appointments and rehearsals. I type up my lesson plans in either Pages or Word. I create attendance lists and sign out sheets in Excel. I use digital music in every music class. I record my students as much as possible (when time allows) to enhance their critical listening skills. This is not to say that I have nothing new to learn - I would love to learn more about Google apps (like Hangouts and Forms), or attend webinars to learn more about my craft, or create a Facebook page for the parents of my school to see what is going on around town and what their students are learning. (Honestly, I see that as more practical for older teachers than elementary, but it might be supported.)

     Something that struck me from the sessions I attended was to tap into the students' minds, skills, and creativity. When recruiting younger players, teachers can have older students write letters or make videos sharing their feelings about music. When moving with students, let them come up with more ways to move rather than always telling. And when presenting a concert that features curricular learning, have the students model the learning separate from their performance. For example, the Elementary Honors Choir performed very musically and the director had them model a few of the skills they had worked on in terms of phrasing and dynamic treatment for the audience. It created a relaxed but powerful atmosphere, where the students were teaching the audience rather than the director lecturing. Our students will always be 8 steps ahead when it comes to technology - let's have them think of new ways to incorporate it in the music room.

     Throughout this course, I have increased my confidence in using specifically musical applications of technology. I began using MuseScore instead of Finale NotePad since I can modulate (how novel) in the middle of a piece. I feel I could teach my students about Soundation and let them loose playing with loops. I stretched my creative muscles by writing a song and recording it ALL BY MYSELF! I even showed my students :). I look forward to adding one or two new applications to my arsenal a year and figuring out how they can enhance the learning happening in my music room.

No comments:

Post a Comment