Friday, March 13, 2015

Technology and Music Education - The 21st Century

     Teaching music in 2015 is incredibly different from when I was taking music classes in the 80s and 90s. We used the Silver Burdett textbooks, listened to LPs, and read rhythms in chorus that my teacher, Mrs. Conway, created on construction paper. A highlight of my third grade music year was playing the glockenspiel in the spring concert - quite an accomplishment! I hope that my students have the same great memories of their young music careers, but with more ownership and creativity in their experiences.
     My role as a facilitator in a constructivist music classroom depends on my understanding and utilization of the best tools for the learning opportunities of my students, analog and digital. While there are certain roadblocks on the path to fully integrated technology (budget...scheduling...), I am looking forward to increasing my TPACK to give my students the right tools for the right learning.

                                                           Reproduced by permission of the publisher, © 2012 by tpack.org

     This is my fourth year as a general music teacher. I create most of my own visuals using original ideas and taking ideas I find on Pinterest (www.pinterest.com) and in my GamePlan curriculum books (Kriske & DeLelles, 2008). Through Pinterest, I have learned that there is a wide realm of information out there, particularly in the form of blogs and other resources, from teachers in the same field! Falling down the rabbit hole has lead me to many new and exciting games and ideas for my students, and apps to use in the music classroom. (I especially love TeachersPayTeachers.)
     My PLN (Personal Learning Network) has been broadened immensely through the KSU MMME program. I have had discourse with teachers across the globe who have different perspectives on music and teaching. This application of technology has broadened my TPACK and will continue to long after I graduate. I only hope I am still able to keep in touch with these other professionals.
     I feel very comfortable with technology for my own learning, but I would LOVE to become more adept at incorporating apps and software in my teaching. This is what I hope to get out of this course. Already, I read about Rock Our World and want to set up a project around it for next school year. We have a supportive technology department in my district (East Lyme, CT) but I want to be sure I am using it to enhance student learning rather than just fluffing up my curriculum. I look forward to learning about new technologies through professional development opportunities to strengthen my TPACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment